Coronavirus Updates

April 24, 2020

There is a great deal of uncertainty with regards to whether we will be able to open camp in some capacity this summer. We understand that the CDC is working on guidelines for camps. Once the CDC guidance is made available, the Maryland Department of Health will set specific regulations for camps that we will be expected to follow. 

It is so hard to hold all of the uncertainty that we are all contending with now. My hope is that we will be able to provide more information to you in mid to late May, but we can not give an exact date. In the meantime, we are choosing to remain optimistic and plan for an incredible Mosh camp experience this summer.

For the past six weeks, the Mosh team has been working remotely to prepare for Summer 2020, while also providing opportunities for campers, parents, staff and alumni to connect during these difficult times. We have an amazing Mazkirut (leadership team) and year-round team that are hiring talented staff, planning amazing programs, creating contingency plans and revising protocols.

In the last email, we communicated the following updates about tuition and refund policies. If Mosh is unable to open for Summer 2020, full refunds will be available. If you are in a position to donate some or all of the tuition to Mosh, these donations will be matched dollar for dollar by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation and would help Mosh tremendously. Families will also have the option to rollover tuition payments that have been made towards 2020 to summer 2021. 

Please be assured that we are doing everything in our power to make Mosh happen this summer - and that we hold camper and staff safety as the highest priority. We also remain committed to making camp affordable for all who wish to attend. Please email abby@campmosh.org for scholarship information.

March 26, 2020

In this time of great uncertainty, Team Mosh is working to keep the connections to Mosh strong and to prepare for Summer 2020! 

While we continue to hold onto hope that we will be able to open camp this summer, it is difficult, if not impossible, to know what the status of the COVID-19 pandemic will be in June. And, because of this uncertainty, we wanted to let you know about some changes to our refund policy.

Changes to Refund Policy As Of March 26, 2020

  • In the event that camp is unable to open this summer because of COVID-19, we will refund tuition and deposits that have been paid, as requested.

  • In the event that we have to shorten camp because of COVID-19, we will pro-rate tuition for the portion of camp that is missed. 

If we are unable to open camp this summer, we humbly request that folks who have the means, consider donating all or part of your tuition and deposit to Mosh and/or consider applying the 2020 tuition that you have already paid towards Mosh 2021. There are substantial year-round costs in operating a summer camp and while we would avoid some expenses by not opening, we would also experience a significant financial impact.

Scholarships
As always, Mosh is committed to making camp accessible to all! We know that many people have lost employment during this pandemic. Please contact Abby Cohen at abby@campmosh.org for a scholarship application. We do not want finances to prevent a camper from coming to camp!

In the meantime, we are working hard to pull together a great tzevet for the summer and connecting chanichimot (campers) and tzevet (staff)  during this period of social distancing through on-line programs (scroll down to read more). We hope your kiddos will join in the fun!

This is not an easy time and all of us on Team Mosh are thinking of you and wishing you good health!

May 14, 2020

We are heartbroken to tell you that we are cancelling all in-person overnight camp activities held at Camp Mosh for summer 2020. If at any point new information emerges and conditions change that lead us to be able to provide in-person gatherings, we will do so as a top priority.

 

This painful decision is made after weeks of searching for ways to create a safe camp community in the midst of this pandemic. We have explored the known and unknown risks, considered potential solutions to the many logistical challenges and consulted experts (such as the CDC, American Camp Association, local health officials in Harford County, our own committee of medical professionals) to determine what procedural changes would be required.

 

All of this was done in order to determine whether life at camp could be adjusted to meet the required precautions. We have come to the conclusion that the modifications required and the health threat of Covid-19 are insurmountable at this time. We can not in good conscience expose campers, staff and their families to the risks that camp would pose in the context of this pandemic illness.

 

You might be asking, “Why are you making this decision now and for the full summer?” Our ongoing conversations with and learnings from local, regional, and federal medical authorities, The Centers for Disease Control, and many leaders in camping, along with deep exploration by our camp professional and lay leadership teams, have led Habonim Dror Camp Moshava to the difficult conclusion that there are too many known and unknown risks for us to create an acceptable pathway forward for this summer. 

 

Ultimately, the decision was made and founded upon one goal - to safeguard the health and wellbeing of everyone in our community. This includes the returning campers who love their summers spent at Mosh, the new campers who were looking forward to their first overnight camp experience, our professional and summer staff, their families at home, and others they are connected to and responsible for in their communities. As soon as that became clear, we wanted to communicate to you, our community. We believe that the Mosh family deserves the clarity, that while painful, allows for grieving, healing, and moving forward towards hope, joy, and better days ahead. This also enables our tzevet (staff) to transition to serving you in new, creative, and different ways through this unique moment in time.

 

Summer 2020 was to be Mosh’s 85th year of operation. In a typical year, kids spend all year talking about “next summer at Mosh” - counting down the days until they get to return to their home away from home. This has been far from a typical year and we know that the hope of returning to camp this summer after months of isolation has been helping many kids cope with the isolation of quarantine life.

We are devastated to be bringing this news to you. Yet, we are comforted by the knowledge that we will do as the Mosh community has always done and help each other through this experience as a strong, creative and loving community. Each individual is made stronger by the resilience, creativity and support of the community and each person’s spirit, talents and friendship makes for a resilient and thriving collective.

 

Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or thoughts. We would love to speak with you in the coming weeks.

Get Mosh Updates

Habonim Dror Camp Moshava

Office: 6101 Executive Boulevard, Ste 319| North Bethesda, MD 20852 | Campsite: 615 Cherry Hill Road| Street, MD 21154 

Phone: (301) 348-7339 (office ) or (410) 893-7006 (camp) | Email: info@campmosh.org